The most common health problem among endurance exercisers is heat disease. This is a serious condition which has resulted in death in a high percentage of cases, even in highly trained, young athletes.
- During hot weather, exercise at the coolest time (usually before sunrise).
- Drink water all day long.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and other drugs
- Wear clothing that is light and loose
- Eat small, low-fat snacks which you know will not cause you distress (far enough ahead)
- Don’t significantly increase duration or intensity.
- Slow down pace even more to adjust for heat, humididty and hills – especially in the beginning.
- Take walk breaks more often on hot days.
Stay tuned, next week I will discuss symptoms and risk factors.