Most runners collect a closet full of bargain shoes until they find a real running store. The good advice of a trained staff can cut through the conflicting information, match you up with current helpful technology, and help you find a shoe that becomes an extension of your foot.
If you can’t find a running specialty store, the following procedure will help you sift through the maze of running shoes. It’s not as good as getting the advice of a running specialty store (like Phidippides), but if you follow the steps below and use your best instincts, you’re more likely to choose a shoe that will work for you. You’ll also save time instead of listening to the pitch of commission-driven sales people, or high school kids, at stores that sell all types of sport shoes.
- Bring with you, your worn shoes, the socks you use, foot devices, etc. A good shoe expert can “read” the wear pattern on your shoes, which is the best indicator of how your foot functions.
- You’re in Charge. You are the only one who can feel how the shoe works on your foot. Don’t let anyone tell you that a specific shoe is the shoe for you if another shoe seems to feel better as you run or feels more natural on your foot.
- Be prepared to spend a little time. By spending at least 45 minutes (if you need it), you’ll be more likely to try out the various shoe choices.
- Tell your shoe expert the terrain of your routes, your running schedule, injuries and goals in the next six months, etc.
- Run in each shoe. While the input is beneficial from knowledgeable staff persons, you are still the person who will make the decision.
The bottom line: which one works best when you run?
Jeff Galloway Resources: www.jeffgalloway.com Visit the E-Shop where you will find “Marathon!” and other books for your running library.
Join us in Atlanta for the 2016 Jeff Galloway Race Weekend! To register or find out more information on the JG 13.1 race, Barb’s 5K, Fit Kids Run and other weekend events go to: https://jeffgalloway131.com New this year: THE DOUBLE G!
Register for the Double G and get a JG-branded puffer vest!*
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to complete the First Annual Double G! The Double G includes everything you love about the Jeff Galloway Race Weekend (the JG 13.1, Barb’s 5K, and the Jeff Galloway Race expo) with an extra 3rd medal for completing both races!
*While supplies last