While the physical rewards of running are substantial, most long-time runners acknowledge that the psychological ones are unique and more powerful. Every day I hear from runners who have participated in a variety of other life activities. They tell me every day that running leaves them feeling better than anything else they do.
- The “Runner’s High”
- An Attitude Adjustment
- More productivity, less fatique
- Friendships and bonding
Before Those First Steps!
There are very few people who should not exercise because of cardiovascular, structural, muscular, or other problems. It is very important to ensure that you are not in this risk category.
- Before beginning any exercise, diet or other improvement program, be sure to have yourself and the program evaluated by specialists in the areas you are pursuing.
- The advice in this book is offered as such-advice from one exerciser to another. It is not mean to be a prescription and should be evaluated as noted above and below.
- Specific structures and problems of individuals may require program modifications.
- In each area, find specialists who are also knowledgeable about the positive and other effects of exercise and running.
- Ask several respected leaders in the fitness community for recommendations of specialists.
- Always back off any exercise or program when you feel any risk of injury or health.
- The benefits come from regular exercise and steady adherence to a long-term program.
- Never radically increase the amount of exercise or drastically change diet and other health elements.
- Joining a group helps motivation!
- Have fun and you’ll want to continue.
You’ll also get monthly tips and tricks in Jeff’s Monthly Newsletter! We’ll never sell, loan, or otherwise use your address!
Run with the legend
Run, walk, hike and move back to 490 BCE when the founder of our sport, Phidippides, changed the course of history with this run!